Workplace Inclusion – Moving Beyond Diversity
While diversity is almost a fad for some companies, we also know that having a diverse team adds bottom-line value. As long as diversity is accompanied by inclusivity. The video with Dr. Helen Turnbull CSP highlights that diversity positively impacts the bottom line – but only when everyone feels included and valued. She’s been working in the field a long time and did a TEDx in 2013. She says:
- It’s not enough to simply hire a diverse group of people and pat yourself on the back. You need a culture where everyone feels included and can contribute their unique perspectives and ideas.
- When diversity training elicits an eyeroll… you have an uphill battle. The leader is telegraphing their thoughts and unlikely to foster an inclusive environment.
- But inclusivity does not mean that people should be allowed to monopolize meetings ad nauseum. If they’re not adding value… why are they there?
Understanding Unconcious Bias
We all have biases and you might not be aware of yours. It’s part of our most primitive brains so we aren’t going to get rid of it. The only thing we can do is be aware and manage it.
In this video Andrea Adams, MPA speaks with Dr. Helen Turnbull CSP who has been digging into the topic for a long time – long before it (and DEI) became such a key HR issue. Dr. Turnbull TEDx on inclusion in 2013.
- If you’ve ever been rude to an overseas call center representative because they aren’t on your continent, check your bias. Are you REALLY that open-minded and unbiased?
- Confirmation bias and pattern recognition bias are two of the most prevalent examples of unconscious bias in the workplace. Unchecked, either will lead to poor decision-making, missed opportunities and sub-par business performance.
- The only way to minimize the impact of unconscious bias is to bring it to our conscious awareness. She suggests saying “Let’s not make that decision until we check our biases.”
Inclusion, Exclusion, Illusion and Collusion : Helen Turnbull at TEDxDelrayBeach
CEO of Human Facets, Helen has a 25+ year successful track record in the field of Global Inclusion. She is an internationally recognized Thought Leader on Unconscious Bias, global inclusion and diversity. As creator of “Cognizant” — Unconscious Bias assessment tool and the “ISM Profile” for measuring Inclusion Skills gaps, her work has contributed to clients winning the Catalyst Award for Gender improvements. Helen is passionate about Inclusion work and relaxes by watching and playing golf.
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized.* (*Subject to certain rules and regulations)
Dr. Helen Turnbull Interview AIEC 2017
What is unconscious bias and how can we recognize it?
The Illusion of Inclusion© Video Series
Watch this series of eleven videos that speak about global inclusion, unconscious bias, and the bottom line. This Video series is part of Dr. Turnbull’s book, The Illusion of Inclusion – Global Inclusion, Unconscious Bias and the Bottom Line.
Unconscious Bias Videos and Information
The Unconscious Bias program offers a robust solution to enable leaders to address their unconscious biases. It utilizes Cognizant, a psycho-metric online assessment tool that measures blind spots and unconscious bias.
Embed Inclusion Videos and Information
Human Facets’® Embedding Inclusion program is a unique and comprehensive program designed to create an inclusive environment and embed new behaviours into the fabric of organizations.